[pgpool-hackers: 3869] Proposal: pyPCP and pcp_cli

Umar Hayat m.umarkiani at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 21:54:47 JST 2021

Hi Hackers,
Pgpool-II Communication Protocol (PCP) library and pcp_* utilities are used
to manage & monitor Pgpool-II cluster. Pgpool-II and these utilities are
Linux based and to develop application and web interface you have to be on
some *nix system. Which limit the choice of integration of Pgpool-II with
other systems and platforms. To overcome this limitation, I develop a
Native Python based PCP library (which does not require Pgpool-II/PCP
libarary) with name pyPCP. Being written in Python language it can be used
on any system. I tested pyPCP on Mac, Linux and Windows systems. pyPCP can
be found on github link: https://github.com/uhayat/pypcp

Based  on pyPCP, a utility is also available in pyPCP github repository
named pcp_cli.py. Currently there around 13 pcp_* utilities are being built
along with Pgpool-II. By the time we add more features/commands in PCP,
number of these utilities will increase. pcp_cli combines functionality of
all those utilities in a single utility. Like Azure, Github CLIs, pcp_cli
provide groups and sub-groups of command based on relevancy. I propose
following structure for pcp_cli commands:
pcp_cli pool status
pcp_cli pool stop
pcp_cli pool reload-config
pcp_cli pool check-health-stats
pcp_cli node count
pcp_cli node info
pcp_cli node attach
pcp_cli node detach
pcp_cli node promote
pcp_cli node recovery
pcp_cli process count
pcp_cli process info
pcp_cli watchdog info

PyPCP and PCP_CLI will provide users freedom to develop applications and
website across platforms. My next goal is to provide these utilities using
PIP, so that users can install them via pip command instead of cloning
github repo.

Waiting for suggestions and feedback to improve it further.

Regards
Umar Hayat