[pgpool-hackers: 3143] Re: Proposal: allow to share query cache by multiple Pgpool-II instances

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Tue Nov 20 11:25:13 JST 2018

[This is a repost of [pgpool-hackers: 2845] to follow the original
thread just for an archiving purpose.]

It turned out that the bottle neck was the lock acquisition. Since
there's no lock API provided by memcached, I simulated it by creating
an object in memcached. If someone else already created the object,
pgpool child sleep 100 ms and retries. If I decrease the sleep time to
as small as 1 micro sec, the TPS increased from 100 to 9600. However,
current master branch performs 16000 TPS. So still performance is too
low.  Moreover, I constantly get error from memcached saying that
creating object is too large. In this implementation, I have key =
db_oid/table_oid, data = array of query cache hash. The array could
become huge.

So I tried to change the implementation so that key =
db_oid/table_oid/sequence_number, data = single_query_cache_hash. With
this, I didn't have the error any more. But the TPS is as low as 6000.

Moreover, memcached seems to feel free purge the data. (I checked it
by using memccat). It's fine that the query result cache is
gone. Since in that case we can retrieve fresh data from PostgreSQL
anyway.  However, losing cache invalidating data will lead to cache
consistency problem. So this is not acceptable.

In summary, my challenge to implement cross-pgpool query result cache
seems going into a dead end: less performance and loss of cache
consistency.

Probably time to abandon the attempt.