[pgpool-general: 6479] Re: pgpool-II does nothing when slave node goes down

Pierre Timmermans ptim007 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 27 19:23:45 JST 2019

Dimitri,
I wrote a complete walk-through of pgpool on centos here, http://saule1508.github.io/pgpool/, near the end you can see the parameters I use for pgpool and also the scripts that I use for failover and for follow_master

To automate the failover, the important parameters (in my case) are (just a copy/paste from the link I refer above)

 failover_command = '/opt/pgpool/scripts/failover.sh  %d %h %P %m %H %R'
# not used, just echo something
failback_command = 'echo failback %d %h %p %D %m %H %M %P'
failover_on_backend_error = 'off'
search_primary_node_timeout = 300
# Mandatory in a 3 nodes set-up
follow_master_command = '/opt/pgpool/scripts/follow_master.sh %d %h %m %p %H %M %P'

# grace period before triggering a failover
health_check_period = 40
health_check_timeout = 10
health_check_user = 'hcuser'
health_check_password = 'hcuser'
health_check_database = 'postgres'
health_check_max_retries = 3
health_check_retry_delay = 1Question 1: pgpool execute the failover_command in case there is a failure of the master or a failure of one of the standby (at least when health checks are used). In the failover script you will usually wants to check (based on the arguments) what to do: if the failing host is the current primary then you would promote the standby otherwise the script does nothing
When I say pgpool tries to reconnect x times, it is because I use the health_check parameters; at the contrary, If health_check_period = 0 then the health check is disabled and in this case pgpool will not do the failover unless you use the parameter failover_on_backend_errors (so you must choose either the health check or the failover_on_backend_error, but not both)
Question 2: it can be that without the healtch check the standby is not detached automatically ? I am not sure. In this case you would have to do pcp_detach_node yourself in the failover script

Question 3: the parameter failover_on_backend_error is not very intuitive. If you set it to on, what it does is that the failover will be triggered when a child process detects the error on the postgres connection. But if you decide to use the health check then set it to no, otherwise the health check might not be respected.
You must follow in the logs of pgpool what is going on. On Centos pgpool is started via systemd and so the logs are available in the journal:sudo journalctl --unit pgpool
Depending on the version of centos it might be also in /var/log/messages otherwise you might have to configure rsyslog to capture logs and store them in /var/log/messages.

Pierre