[Pgpool-general] pgpool-HA active-active configuration Possible?

Imre Facchin imre.facchin at i-netcompany.com
Thu Sep 15 15:32:03 UTC 2011

Sorry for stupid subject line of my last question.

I am looking for Failover and Loadbalancing in postgresql.

my choice is very likely to be pgpool. but i have concerns regarding it
beeing a SPOF. so i found pgpool-HA.
but nowhere is a description of what this actually does. I would like to
keep all my VMs the same (not have a dedicated DB loadbalancer) So there
would be a pgpool server on every database server knowing about all other
databases (and which one is the current master). my goal would be to be able
to talk to any of the pgpool instances and get the same result. the question
is will pgpool-HA keep the information about what servers are
available/disconnected synchronised over all pgpool instances. or is it just
a hot-standby solution where the new pgpool server takes the place of the
old one if it fails.

if pgpool-ha cant do it is there another way of doing that?

tldr; is a active:active configuration for pgpool instances possibel with
pgpool-HA?