[Pgpool-general] Kick off inconsistent node from cluster

Jaume Sabater jsabater at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 21:01:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Nikolay Popov
<nikolay.popov at altima.com.ua> wrote:

> Here is my situation. I have 2 database nodes with pgpool-II set on each in
> multi-master replication mode.

I understand that you have pgpool-II on the two of them but only one
active at a time, controlled by HeartBeat or similar.

> Imagine that node #1 was rebooted. While it loads, some data written to
> database at node #2. After node #1 is up, it is in inconsistent state and
> should not be used in pool until consistency will be restored. Is it

When node 1 is back, the new pgpool-II instance that was started at
node 2 by Heartbeat would detect that node 1 is down and start the
failover process on it (would drop it). Therefore, you would have node
2 as master and only node 2 active.

When node 1 is back, you should do an online recovery, so that node 1
is brought in sync with node 2

> possible to avoid joining inconsistent node to pool before it will be
> synchronized in manual or automatic way?

If the setup is correct, this should not happen.

--
Jaume Sabater
http://linuxsilo.net/

"Ubi sapientas ibi libertas"