[Pgpool-general] pgpool-II 2.2 beta2 released

Jaume Sabater jsabater at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 10:38:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 1:29 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at sraoss.co.jp> wrote:

> Changing log_connections should not produce message 'S'. My guess is
> your /etc/init.d/postgresql reload actually does stopping and
> starting, or you changed something other than log_connections which
> will produce message 'S'. See the ostgreSQL manual to know which
> directive produce the message 'S'.

The executed command was "pg_ctlcluster 8.3 main reload". In the
PostgreSQL log I can see:

LOG:  incomplete startup packet
LOG:  received SIGHUP, reloading configuration files

This "incomplete startup packet" message was discussed in the
PostgreSQL mailing lists a few weeks ago, and it had been discussed
before. Here you are what Tom Lane said about it:

"The probable cause is something connecting to port 5432 and then
disconnecting without sending anything. [..] I've heard that there's
stuff out there that makes a cheesy probe that Postgres is "up" by
just seeing if it can connect to 5432."

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2008-09/msg00099.php

Also by Tom Lane:

"Broken client software, or possibly something portscanning your machine.
It's reporting a bogus connection attempt."

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2006-01/msg00184.php

I will try to erase and rewind, see if I can reproduce it and post
more details here.

--
Jaume Sabater
http://linuxsilo.net/