[Pgpool-general] segfault in pgpool 2.2

Simone Tregnago simonetregnago at grivaonline.com
Fri Apr 17 09:39:44 UTC 2009

Henry wrote:
  > Have you recompiled with -g (and no -O2 - just edit the Makefile and
> remove the -O2 from the CFLAGS line, then run make, and copy
> .libs/pgpool to /usr/bin)?
>
> Try running pgpool with -nd and copy/paste the output here (after the
> crash).  Also check the Pg log for errors.

ok, I've tried steps as you wrote, with another set of servers, starting
with a new clean postgres/pgpool installation. Attached is the output
until the segfault. Notice that the segfault doesn't stop pgpool, pgpool
continues to run, the segfault appears in the syslog with this line:

Apr 17 11:19:21 pgmirror1 kernel: [79435.727193] pgpool[16732]: segfault
at 0 ip 0806061c sp bfb2b1f0 error 4 in pgpool[8048000+b4000]

When the segfault appears my client prints the error:

"""
PQexecPrepared::server closed the connection unexpectedly
This probably means the server terminated abnormally before or while
processing the request.
"""

> If that doesn't produce anything useful, try running it thusly:
>
> gdb -d ~/src/pgpoolii/pgpool-II-2.2 --args /usr/bin/pgpool -dn -f
> /usr/local/etc/pgpool.conf
> run
>
> do your SELECT pgpool might then segfault as you mentioned, then run
> bt and send the output here.

I've run it with gdb, as you wrote. But, as before, pgpool continues to
run and the segfault appears in the syslog, so I cannot run bt.

Thanks,
Simone