[Pgpool-general] Pgpool II w/ Postgres - Confirm/Deny Execution Times

Amin Mirza mirza at saletastic.com
Fri Apr 25 16:23:40 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I'm new to the Postgres + PGPool II world and so would like some assurance from you experts that the behavior I'm seeing is normal/expected with relation to PGPool .

Here is what I have:  PGPool II 2.0.1 with Postgres 8.2.7 and PHP 5 running on Centos 5.

I have a very simple PHP script that connects to the db, issues a select and loops the array and writes it out.   The script has a simple microtime calculation that tells me how long it took to process the page.

Without PGPool , the execution time ranges from .038 - .042 seconds.
With PGPool , the execution time increase anywhere between .052 - .076 seconds.

That's with using pg_connect in my PHP script.

Now, I was expecting it to go down with PGPool since the time to create a connection should be eliminated by using a pool.

As a comparison, when I use pg_pconnect, the execution times drop down to .013 seconds.  I have read enough to keep me away from using pg_pconnect and thus go down the route of using PGPool.

Is that normal to see higher execution times with PGPool enabled?  Or do I not have it setup correctly?

I can post the config file if that would help.

Thanks in advance.
Amin