[Pgpool-general] Some help

"Tomás A. Rossi" tomas at mecon.gov.ar
Mon Mar 6 18:17:54 GMT 2006

Hi:

I've tried pgpool latest stable release and I'm newbie, just ONE day
newbie :).
I'm gonna start to describe my scenario and my problem:

Having two servers, A and B, both with PostrgreSQL 7.3 (FreeBSD 5.3)
[upgrading soon]. Server A contains the master database D and server B
contains a replica of D (slave). There will be a Slony-I for the job but
in the meantime and only for test purposes it was a manual replica. Then
I installed on some other server pgpool (the 'pgpool.conf' by default
has A as the master and B as the slave -or failover-). Almost everything
works nice:

* First I connect through pgpool and I get indirectly to A. [OK]
* Then I disconnect physically server A. After a while pgpool detects it
and makes the switchover to use server B. [OK]
* I try again and I get indirectly connected to B through pgpool. [OK]
* Then I restore the network link of server A and get it on its feets
again. Pgpool seems not to detect master is ready to take it's formerly
abandoned role. [Mmmh...]
* I try to connect through pgpool but it insist in redirecting the
connections to server B when clearly A can handle them again. [Bad]

Is there some way to accomplish the desired behavior (pgpool detecting
master recovery) with just some edit on 'pgpool.conf' or is pgpool
incapable of detect such situations?

Thanks in advance,
Tom;