[Pgpool-general] An update for my PGPool Queries

vic vic at digi.com.ph
Thu Mar 2 09:22:34 GMT 2006

Hi again everyone,

As an update to the message I sent last night, and after doing some more
tests today, I realized that what I'm trying to do with PGPool may not be
possible. The following are my new findings about PGPool's operation:

1.	It seems that for PGPool replication to work, all DB update/write
operations must be sent to the Master Node (-s m) only. Otherwise, any DB
updates directly to the Secondary Node will crash PGPool on the Master Node.
Thus, this shortcoming restricts me from doing a Service Level
loadbalancing.

2.	Even having "replication_stop_on_mismatch=false", I noticed that
PGPool service would not startup if the databases between the two Nodes are
not identical. For example, node2 has an extra database. Thus, I am required
to drop the extra database via the Postgres backend port in order for PGPool
service to load. But PGPool loads without problems if one of the Nodes is
"down". Or simply put, if PGPool has nothing to compare its local database
with.

Are these assessments on PGPool operation correct? And finally, as a basic
requirement of my DB application: I have this question:

Is there a way for PGPool to work on a system that will require DB updates
not only on the Master Node but also on the Secondary Node?

TIA and Best regards,

Vic