[Pgpool-general] More fun with pgpool errors

Tatsuo Ishii t-ishii at sra.co.jp
Fri May 20 02:01:59 GMT 2005

> I've been doing some initial testing of pgpool as well, and I've hit
> this condtion.  If the process in the pgpool.pid file dies, the pool
> can't be shut down cleanly.

Can you explain more? We can not stop a process if it has alreday
stopped.

> Another related bug I've seen is that if
> you run pgpool start while the pool is already running, it deletes the
> pgpool.pid file, and all connections through the pool fail.

Really? I got follwing messages and pgpool.pid wasn't deleted.

pid file found. is another pgpool(2204) is running?

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> >Folks,
> >
> >Sometimes when I try to shut down pgpool (particularly after the postgresql
> >server has stopped) I get this error:
> >
> >2005-05-19 10:54:00 ERROR: pid 30586: could read pid file
> >
> >As a result, I've been forced to resort to using `killall pgpool` instead.

It seems pgpool.pid has been deleted by someone else.  Probably your
"logdir" in your pgpool.conf is /tmp? Then the nightly cron job might
delete pgpool.pid. I recommend to move it to another place, for
example /var/run.