[Pgpool-general] kind does not match between backends

Tatsuo Ishii t-ishii at sra.co.jp
Thu Mar 17 12:04:18 GMT 2005

> En un mensaje anterior, Tatsuo Ishii escribió:
> > It seems the authentication settings for the master and secondary are
> > different, but this is just a guess. I have add some debug statement
> > to see if this actually happens. Can you grab the latest source using
> > anon CVS? If you have problem with CVS, I could send you the file via
> > private mail. Please let me know.
>
> Yes, that was it, but having corrected it, still doesn't work:
>
> DEBUG: pid 86559: I am 86559 accept fd 6
> DEBUG: pid 86559: Protocol Major: 1234 Minor: 5679 database:  user:
> DEBUG: pid 86559: SSLRequest: sent N; retry startup
> DEBUG: pid 86559: Protocol Major: 2 Minor: 0 database: XXX user: XXX
> DEBUG: pid 86559: trying md5 authentication
> DEBUG: pid 86559: master: 1 salt: 34213ffb6
> DEBUG: pid 86559: master: 0 salt: 2366ffb45f
> DEBUG: pid 86559: do_md5: backend does not return R while
> processing MD5 authentication E
> ERROR: pid 86559: pool_do_auth: backend does not return
> authenticaton ok
>
> It seems it is authenticating OK with the main server, but not with the
> secondary. I tried with psql -h remote and the password is OK.
>
> >From the docs, I'm reading that md5 is allowed in my setting (replication_mode =
> false). Is that right?

Is your setting is master/slave mode? I'm afraid you cannot use md5 in
the mode as well(I must have fixed the doc).

The reason why md5 does not work is, master and slave never return
back same md5 "salt" (you see master's value is 34213ffb6 while
secondary's value is 2366ffb45f). salt is neccesary to encrypt user's
password and should be negotiated between frontend and backend. In the
replication or master/slave mode, frontend can never agree with the
salts since master and secondary never returns same salt.

Can you use trust or clear text password authentication?