[pgpool-hackers: 4222] Re: Dynamic spare process management of Pgpool-II children

Muhammad Usama muhammad.usama at percona.com
Wed Nov 9 02:49:47 JST 2022

Hi,

Thank you peng for testing and coming up with a minimal test case.

On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 3:38 PM Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at sraoss.co.jp> wrote:

> Hi Usama, Pengbo,
>
> >> after applying the patch, I have run regression test and encountered 7
> >> timeout.
> >>
> >> testing 008.dbredirect...timeout.
> >> testing 018.detach_primary...timeout.
> >> testing 033.prefer_lower_standby_delay...timeout.
> >> testing 034.promote_node...timeout.
> >> testing 075.detach_primary_left_down_node...timeout.
> >> testing 076.copy_hang...timeout.
> >> testing 077.invalid_failover_node...timeout.
> >
> > I found that some tests above failed when running pgpool_setup with 3
> nodes.
> >
> > It seems that after running pcp_recovery_node, all child processes exited
> > with the messages "exited with success and will not be restarted".
> >
> > It can be reproduced by running "pgpool_setup -m s -n 3" command.
> > The log is attached.
>
> Peng,
> Reliably reproduced here. Thank you for the minimal test case. This
> helped my investigation a lot.
>
> Usama,
> I have looked in to this a little bit and I have doubt in following
> code fragment (src/main/pgpool_main.c around line 1981)
>
>                                 if (pid == process_info[i].pid)
>                                 {
>                                         found = true;
>                                         /* if found, fork a new child */
>                                         if (!switching && !exiting &&
> restart_child &&
>
> pool_config->process_management = PM_DYNAMIC)
>
> Shouldn't this be as following?
>

> pool_config->process_management != PM_DYNAMIC)
>
> After this modification, all regression tests passed.

@Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at sraoss.co.jp>  Thanks for pointing this out. It was a
silly mistake on my part.

I am attaching the updated patch with the fix that also includes the
documentation updates for the feature.

Kindly review

Thanks
Best  regards