[pgpool-hackers: 3947] Re: Simplify pgpool.conf

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Wed Jul 7 10:27:33 JST 2021

> Currently sample files of pgpool.conf under src/sample have all the
> configuration parameters regardless the clustering mode. For example,
> "replicate_select" is not applied to the streaming replication mode
> but it's still in the config file and maybe a noise for the streaming
> replication mode users. Attached is a PoC patch to remove those
> unnecessary parameters in the config files. For now only config files
> for the streaming replication mode and the snapshot isolation mode are
> included in the patch.
>
> I am not so confident if the simplification (number of removed lines)
> is large enough to justify the change and I would like to hear
> opinions from other developers. Should we go forward and remove those
> irrelevant parameters or keep them?

Due to a request from other developers, I counted how many lines will
be deleted by the patch.

Before the patch:
$ wc src/sample/pgpool.conf.sample-stream src/sample/pgpool.conf.sample-snapshot
  920  4225 47440 src/sample/pgpool.conf.sample-stream
  918  4215 47248 src/sample/pgpool.conf.sample-snapshot
 1838  8440 94688 Total

After the patch:
$ wc src/sample/pgpool.conf.sample-stream src/sample/pgpool.conf.sample-snapshot
  883  4076 45642 src/sample/pgpool.conf.sample-stream
  791  3557 39772 src/sample/pgpool.conf.sample-snapshot
 1674  7633 85414 Total

So the reduction rates are:
pgpool.conf.sample-stream: 4.0%
pgpool.conf.sample-snapshot: 13.8%