[pgpool-hackers: 4070] Re: Proposal: add validations of wd_lifecheck_password and recovery_password format.

KAWAMOTO Masaya kawamoto at sraoss.co.jp
Fri Dec 10 09:47:56 JST 2021

Hi,

I have confirmed that this patch works on a stable branch except V3_7.

I'm thinking of committing this patch to V4_3, V4_2, V4_1, V4_0.
This is because pgpool allows the AES encryption format to be set for
recovery_password and wd_lifecheck_password from V4_0, and up to V3_7
they could only be set directly in pgpool.conf in plain text format.

I think V3_7 users are not confused without this fix.

Best regards.

On Mon, 06 Dec 2021 17:24:54 +0900 (JST)
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii ¡÷ sraoss.co.jp> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Any progress on this?
>
> > Thank you for your proposal.
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> wd_lifecheck_password and recovery_password are not allowed to be md5 hashed format
> >> but pgppol dont check their password format.
> >>
> >> I think this proposal will help users to know why pcp_recovery_node fails and authentication
> >> failure appears in pgpool log.
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >
> > I think the proposal is good and should be applied to the all
> > supported branches.
> >
> > Some suggestions to the patch.
> >
> > 1.
> > +	if(chceck_password_type_is_not_md5(pool_config->recovery_user, pool_config->recovery_password) == -1)
> >
> > You need a space between "if" and "(".
> >
> > 2.
> > Accoring to the PostgreSQL message guide, problably this:
> >
> > +				(errmsg("the password of recovery_user %s is invalid format",
> > +						pool_config->recovery_user),
> > +				errdetail("recovery_password is not allowed to be md5 hashed format")));
> >
> > would be better if descrbed:
> >
> > +				(errmsg("invalid password format for recovery_user: %s",
> > +						pool_config->recovery_user),
> > +				errdetail("md5 hashed password is not allowed here")));
> >
> > Best regards,
> > --
> > Tatsuo Ishii
> > SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
> > English: http://www.sraoss.co.jp/index_en.php
> > Japanese:http://www.sraoss.co.jp

KAWAMOTO Masaya <kawamoto ¡÷ sraoss.co.jp>