[pgpool-hackers: 4003] Re: [pgpool-general: 7587] Version 2 protocol

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Wed Aug 25 10:56:13 JST 2021

In the yesterday's off mailing list discussion, all pgpool developers
agreed that we will drop version 2 protocol support for upcoming
Pgpool-II 4.3.

Today I noticed that the dropping v2 protocol in PostgreSQL is for
master and REL_14_STABLE branches *only*. This means that all other
stable branches (13, 12, 11, 10 and 9.6) continue to support the v2
protocol.

Since pgpool supports multiple versions of PostgreSQL, I now start to
suspect that we should not drop v2 protocol support until v13 and
older versions of PostgreSQL are deprecated.

I would like to hear opinions from other Pgpool-II developers.