[pgpool-hackers: 3793] Need more documentation?

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Wed Aug 26 15:52:21 JST 2020

Hi Pgpool developers,

I noticed that there's no chapter for starting/stopping Pgpool-II in
our documentation. There are similar chapters in PostgreSQL
documentation:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/runtime.html

18.1. The PostgreSQL User Account
18.2. Creating a Database Cluster
18.3. Starting the Database Server
18.4. Managing Kernel Resources
18.5. Shutting Down the Server
18.6. Upgrading a PostgreSQL Cluster
18.7. Preventing Server Spoofing
18.8. Encryption Options
18.9. Secure TCP/IP Connections with SSL
18.10. Secure TCP/IP Connections with GSSAPI Encryption
18.11. Secure TCP/IP Connections with SSH Tunnels
18.12. Registering Event Log on Windows

While we only have:

3.1. The Pgpool-II User Account
3.2. Configuring pcp.conf
3.3. Configuring Pgpool-II
3.4. Configuring backend information

I think at least we need something like:

3.5. Starting Pgpool-II and PostgreSQL
3.6. Stopping Pgpool-II and PostgreSQL

Additionally we may want to have:

3.7. Maintaining Pgpool-II and PostgreSQL

which describes how to change configurations, how to upgrade software
with minimal downtime.