[pgpool-hackers: 3572] application_name for Pgpool-II internal process

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Wed Apr 1 21:29:35 JST 2020

Hi Pgpool-II developers,

Currently it's not easy to distinguish each line in Pgpool-II log by
it's kind: main process, child process (assigned for each session),
health check process, replication delay check worker process, pcp main
process and pcp child process. I mean, it's hard to tell particular
log line belogs to which process kind.

To improve this situation, I propose to assign fixed string to each
process kind so that it can be used as a process kind marker using
"%a" log line prefix option for "application name".

Here is an initial idea for the application names assigned to each
process kind:

Pgpool-II main process: "main"
Pgpool-II child process: "child" (should be replaced if application
	  		 name is specified in a start up packet)
health check process: "health_check%d" (%d is replaced with node id)
replication delay check worker process: "delay_check_worker"
PCP main process: "pcp_main"
PCP child process: "pcp_child"

What do you think?