[pgpool-hackers: 2521] Re: New Feature with patch: Quorum and Consensus for backend failover

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Fri Sep 8 09:40:00 JST 2017

I have tested the patch a little bit using 004 watchdog regression
test.  After the test ends, I manually started master and standby
Pgpool-II.

1) Stop master PostgreSQL. Since there's only one PostgreSQL is
configured, I expected:

psql: ERROR:  pgpool is not accepting any new connections
DETAIL:  all backend nodes are down, pgpool requires at least one valid node
HINT:  repair the backend nodes and restart pgpool

but master Pgpool-II replies:

psql: FATAL:  failed to create a backend connection
DETAIL:  executing failover on backend

Is this normal?

2) I shutdown the master node to see if the standby escalates.

After shutting down the master, I see this using pcp_watchdog_info:

pcp_watchdog_info -p 11105
localhost:11100 Linux tishii-CF-SX3HE4BP localhost 11100 21104 4 MASTER
localhost:11000 Linux tishii-CF-SX3HE4BP localhost 11000 21004 10 SHUTDOWN

Seems ok but I want to confirm.

master and standby pgpool logs attached.