[pgpool-general: 8421] Re: How to size pgPool server?

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Tue Sep 20 09:52:22 JST 2022

Welcome to Pgpool-II world:-)

> Newbie question: how big should the phPool server be, compared to the
> existing stand-alone PostgreSQL 9.6 server that we're adding pgPool on
> top of?
>
> Background: my customer wants to HA and for the application to connect
> to only one host name, no matter which of two replicated Postgres
> servers is currently Primary.  (Basically, to emulate SQL Server
> Availability Groups.) Thus, I'm looking at pgPool-II.
>
> Currently, the database server has X number of CPUs, and 132GB RAM. Of
> course the (new) replicated database server will be the same size.
>
> Specifically:
> 1. How big (CPU/RAM) should the pgPool server be, given the size of
> the current server?

See the official documentation:
https://www.pgpool.net/docs/latest/en/html/resource-requirement.html

Regarding CPU, it heavily depends on the number of concurrent clients
and workload of each SQL. In general, if the number of concurrent
clients is large then pgpool will need more CPU cores. However if each
SQL workload is heavy, the number (required CPU cores) will decrease
because most of time pgpool needs to wait for response from PostgreSQL
backend.

> 2. Can we reduce the size of database server?

No, I don't think so.

> 3. How much disk space needed for pgPool besides log files?

Not much disk space is necessary. Probably less than a few mega
bytes. Again,
https://www.pgpool.net/docs/latest/en/html/resource-requirement.html

Best reagards,
SRA OSS LLC