[pgpool-general: 8420] How to size pgPool server?

Ron ronljohnsonjr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 23:00:20 JST 2022

Newbie question: how big should the phPool server be, compared to the
existing stand-alone PostgreSQL 9.6 server that we're adding pgPool on top of?

Background: my customer wants to HA and for the application to connect to
only one host name, no matter which of two replicated Postgres servers is
currently Primary.  (Basically, to emulate SQL Server Availability Groups.)
Thus, I'm looking at pgPool-II.

Currently, the database server has X number of CPUs, and 132GB RAM. Of
course the (new) replicated database server will be the same size.

Specifically:
1. How big (CPU/RAM) should the pgPool server be, given the size of the
current server?
2. Can we reduce the size of database server?
3. How much disk space needed for pgPool besides log files?

Thanks.