[pgpool-general: 7741] Re: Pgpool-II on Ubuntu - older Pgpool version is OK?

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Tue Oct 5 10:49:30 JST 2021

> Thank you so much for quick reply!

You are welcome.

> Your answer relieves me at least from the worries about Ubuntu in
> production.
>
> However, I still did not get 2 things:
>
> - Is Pgpool (4.1.4 - the one I am using
> <https://www.pgpool.net/docs/42/en/html/release-4-1-4.html>) compatible
> with Postgresql 13 on Ubuntu?

Yes, at least from funcionality's point of view. Pgpool-II does not
rely on specific distro's feature (if any).

> I have been focusing solely on configuration
> part and did not test anything, also did not check the compatibility in the
> first place, nor I can find any sources for it.

> - Is 4.1.4 the last version supported for Ubuntu? I checked here
> <https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=pgpool2&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all>,
> and it seems the case.
> What are the risks if I go with Ubuntu if let's say it doesn't get the
> latest pgpool2 (which is 4.2.5)?

I am not in the position of talking about Ubuntu distribution
activities. So I don't know why they only release 4.1.4, and no 4.2.x
at this point.

> Maybe I am missing some other source of installing latest Pgpool2 on
> Ubuntu? I am very new to Linux distro world as well. If possible, please
> enlighten.

Another possibility is PGDB packages. This project is driven by
PostgreSQL developers/contributors and is mainly aiming to provide the
latest packages of PostgreSQL. The packages also include a few
PostgreSQL related projects, including pgpool2.

https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt

I have looked into the packages list but I only found pgpool2 4.1.4 is
the latest. I am subscribed to the pgsql-pkg-debian at postgresql.org and
sending a question whether they have a plan to provide more recent
versions of pgpool2 packages.

https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/