[pgpool-general: 7735] Re: Pgpool-II on Ubuntu - older Pgpool version is OK?

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Mon Oct 4 08:44:02 JST 2021

Welcome to the Pgpool-II community!

> A big hello from newbie to the Pgpool community! I took a long time setting
> up the Pgpool-II high availability on my postgres 13 cluster on Ubuntu
> machines. I kept following this great example
> <https://www.pgpool.net/docs/latest/en/html/example-cluster.html>, while
> converting the CentOS tutorial to Ubuntu equivalent.
> I am working on AWS EC2. However, after 80% config done, I realized I was
> using an older version of Pgpool-II(*4.1.4-3*) against the tutorial version
> that is *4.2.5*.
>
> While I quickly found out the tutorial for my version
> <https://www.pgpool.net/docs/41/en/html/example-cluster.html>(4.1.x), there
> are bigger questions in my mind:
>
> *1 - Is Ubuntu a good choice for a Postgres Database cluster compared to
> CentOS/RHEL wherein Pgpool-II is ahead (latest is 4.2.5)?*
>
> I ran apt-cache policy pgpool2 on my *Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS* Ec2 instance:
>
> *Installed: 4.1.4-3.pgdg20.04+2*
>
> I do not find much on Pgpool website about what are their plans for Ubuntu,
> so I wonder if I made the right choice.

I regularly use Ubuntu 20 and 18 for pgpool development works. So
basically I see no problem with Ubuntu to use pgpool.

There's only one problem, however. When I try to build pgpool
documents I get segault from jade (an SGML compiler) on Ubuntu 20. 18
is fine. (I already filed this to Ubuntu developer's community but so
far I got no response). But this is only an issue for developers, not
for users.

> *2 - Should I stick to Ubuntu (and hence with Pgpool 4.1 for now) or should
> I switch to RHEL/CentOS?*

So I see no problem with using pgpool on Ubuntu except one thing above.

> Pgpool aside, I do not know if there are any OS licensing cost implications
> of this (I am on AWS EC2 instances), as I am new to Linux world as well.

Of course Pgpool-II is an open source software and free to use.

> Since switching also requires heavy work I did in setting up so far, please
> enlighten me if I am risking anything by keeping my Ubuntu intact.
>
> (so far I was believing that all in the Linux world is free but I could be
> wrong given all the distros being offered on AWS
> <https://aws.amazon.com/mp/linux/>)
>

> Thank you for the great tool and the community support!

You are welcome.