[pgpool-general: 7734] Pgpool-II on Ubuntu - older Pgpool version is OK?

Nirav Bhatt niravbhatt.cpp at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 07:16:40 JST 2021

A big hello from newbie to the Pgpool community! I took a long time setting
up the Pgpool-II high availability on my postgres 13 cluster on Ubuntu
machines. I kept following this great example
<https://www.pgpool.net/docs/latest/en/html/example-cluster.html>, while
converting the CentOS tutorial to Ubuntu equivalent.
I am working on AWS EC2. However, after 80% config done, I realized I was
using an older version of Pgpool-II(*4.1.4-3*) against the tutorial version
that is *4.2.5*.

While I quickly found out the tutorial for my version
<https://www.pgpool.net/docs/41/en/html/example-cluster.html>(4.1.x), there
are bigger questions in my mind:

*1 - Is Ubuntu a good choice for a Postgres Database cluster compared to
CentOS/RHEL wherein Pgpool-II is ahead (latest is 4.2.5)?*

I ran apt-cache policy pgpool2 on my *Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS* Ec2 instance:

*Installed: 4.1.4-3.pgdg20.04+2*

I do not find much on Pgpool website about what are their plans for Ubuntu,
so I wonder if I made the right choice.

*2 - Should I stick to Ubuntu (and hence with Pgpool 4.1 for now) or should
I switch to RHEL/CentOS?*

Pgpool aside, I do not know if there are any OS licensing cost implications
of this (I am on AWS EC2 instances), as I am new to Linux world as well.

Since switching also requires heavy work I did in setting up so far, please
enlighten me if I am risking anything by keeping my Ubuntu intact.

(so far I was believing that all in the Linux world is free but I could be
wrong given all the distros being offered on AWS
<https://aws.amazon.com/mp/linux/>)

Thank you for the great tool and the community support!