[pgpool-general: 4969] PGPool - native replication not working

Bezas, Michael michael.bezas at credit-suisse.com
Thu Sep 8 02:26:22 JST 2016

Hi I am trying to setup PGPool with native replication (ie: using PGPools replication functionality) and it doesn't appear to be working.

Server config
------------------
PGPool installed on 1 server
PGServer1
PGServer2

I insert data into the PGPool instance and data is only inserted into one PGServer1 and NOT the other PGServer2

My PGPool config is as follows:
# - Backend Connection Settings -
backend_hostname0 = 'PGServer1'
backend_port0 = 5432
backend_weight0 = 0
backend_data_directory0 = '/postgres/data/'
backend_flag0 = 'ALLOW_TO_FAILOVER'

backend_hostname1 = 'PGServer2'
backend_port1 = 5433
backend_weight1 = 0
backend_data_directory1 = '/postgres/data'
backend_flag1 = 'ALLOW_TO_FAILOVER'

# - Replication settings
replication_mode = on
load_balance_mode = on
master_slave_mode = off

Also when I do a show pool_nodes it seems to indicate a master/slave setup? Is this correct? I have turned master/slave off .

> show pool_nodes;
node_id |         hostname          | port | status | lb_weight |  role
0       | PGServer1| 5432 | 2      | -nan      | master
1       | PGServer2 | 5433 | 3      | -nan      | slave

Does anything else need to be done to get PGPool native replication working? ie: not postgres streaming replication or do you need to have postgres replication enabled?

Thanks
Michael