[pgpool-general: 4520] pgpool-II watchdog

Venkata Balaji N nag1010 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 18:45:10 JST 2016

I have a PostgreSQL clusters (master and standby) configured with
Streaming Replication,
we are looking at setting up a pgpool-II with watchdog for connection
pooling and failover purposes we would also need to ensure there is no
single-point-of-failure threat to pgpool-II.

My query is -

If i have pgpool-II configured with watchdog and if the active
pgpool-II crashes,
then, my understanding is that all the application connections will be
failed-over to the second pgpool-II server. What will be the state of the
existing application connections ? will they be taken over by the second
pgpool-II server and the Queries continue to run as it is ?

Eg: If i have a SELECT query currently running and the active pgpool-II server
fails, will the SELECT query continue to run without interruption from the
second pgpool-II server ? or it had to be re-executed again ?

Please help !

Regards,
Venkata B N