[pgpool-general: 4045] Re: MD5 authentication

Thomas SIMON tsimon at neteven.com
Wed Sep 9 17:12:59 JST 2015

>> Thomas
>>
>> Le 08/09/2015 17:34, Pablo Sanchez a écrit :
>>> [ Comments below, in-line ]

>>> Hey Thomas

>>> Assuming your PGPool set up is not on the same server as the DB
>>> server, the above entries are fine.

>>> The above isn't pgpool's IP eh?  172.20.0.101?
>> No, this is the IP of my second pgpool instance in my private
>> network. (I usea a virtual IP , and healthcheck between the two
>> instances)
>>> Have you confirmed the -a setting?
>> I use debian packaged version of pgpool2, so I launch it via init.d
>> script, but I can confirm you /etc/pgpool2/pool_hba.conf is loaded (by
>> default)
>> I run pgpool by specifying file with -a, I have the same issue.
> To enable the md5 auth on pgpool-II, md5 auth must be enabled on
> PostgreSQL side as well. It is possible that PostgreSQL thinks that
> incoming IP address (that is the IP address on which pgpool-II is
> running) does not require md5 auth. I think you can make sure the
> incoming IP for PostgreSQL is correct by enabling log_connections
> parameter of PostgreSQL.
Hi Tatsuo,
If I enable md5 auth in both postgresql (master & slave), it doesn't
work, and I have following message (independently if I use trust or md5
method on pgpool) :

pg_hba.conf :
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            md5

/pool_read_message_length: message length (8) in slot 1 does not match
with slot 0(12)//
//2015-09-09T10:07:16.285644+02:00 pg1 pgpool[1007]: Failed to read the
authentication packet length. This is likely caused by the inconsistency
of auth method among DB nodes. In this case you can check the previous
error messages (hint: length field) from pool_read_message_length and
recheck the pg_hba.conf settings.//
/