[pgpool-general: 4044] Re: MD5 authentication

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Wed Sep 9 08:13:14 JST 2015

> Thomas
>
> Le 08/09/2015 17:34, Pablo Sanchez a écrit :
>> [ Comments below, in-line ]

>>> Hi Pablo
>>
>> Hey Thomas
>>
>>> I have following lines :
>>>
>>> local   all             postgres trust
>>> local   all             all trust
>>> host    all         all             127.0.0.1/32 trust
>>
>> Assuming your PGPool set up is not on the same server as the DB
>> server, the above entries are fine.
>>
>>> host    all         all 172.20.0.101/32         trust
>>
>> The above isn't pgpool's IP eh?  172.20.0.101?
> No, this is the IP of my second pgpool instance in my private
> network. (I usea a virtual IP , and healthcheck between the two
> instances)
>>
>>> I have this parameters enabled, and pool_hba.conf is loaded, because
>>> if
>>> I try to come from another IP, I have an negative answer from it
>>> ERROR: no pool_hba.conf entry for host "1.2.3.4", user "toto",
>>> database
>>> "db1", SSL on
>>
>> Have you confirmed the -a setting?
> I use debian packaged version of pgpool2, so I launch it via init.d
> script, but I can confirm you /etc/pgpool2/pool_hba.conf is loaded (by
> default)
> I run pgpool by specifying file with -a, I have the same issue.

To enable the md5 auth on pgpool-II, md5 auth must be enabled on
PostgreSQL side as well. It is possible that PostgreSQL thinks that
incoming IP address (that is the IP address on which pgpool-II is
running) does not require md5 auth. I think you can make sure the
incoming IP for PostgreSQL is correct by enabling log_connections
parameter of PostgreSQL.