[pgpool-general: 3906] Re: pgpool num_init_children with 10000 Concurrent connections

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Fri Jul 31 12:40:41 JST 2015

> Yesterday I have test pgpool with pgbench :
> pgbench -c 30 -T 20 -r pgbench -p9999 -h192.168.8.28
> Concurrent connections is 30, pgpool default num_init_children is 32.
> So, when I set -c 33 ,test will blocked unless I break out.
> My question is :
> If my concurrent connections online is 10000, should I set num_init_children=10000?
> It is terrible that num_init_children=10000 means pgpool start with 10000 process.
> Is there something wrong ?
> How can I config pgpool with 10000 concurrent connections?

That depends how your app behaves. For example if you want to start
10000 psql sessions, you need to set num_init_children=10000. On the
other hand, if your app is someting like web app, which connects to DB
and disconnects very frequently (and each session is very short), you
could set lower value of num_init_children.

Note that pgbench is psql type app.