[pgpool-general: 3483] Re: pgpool for master-slave streaming replication in stream mode for HA , Load balancing and Replication.

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Sun Feb 22 10:07:33 JST 2015

> Hi all,
>
> I have query regarding pgpool.
>
> First i have setup the streaming replication on two machines.Now i want the
> pgpool to look after the avialblity of two machines are up and running.For
> this i am going to install pgpool on both master and slave.i will write a
> failover.sh  script in both the master and slave where if master is not
> available then slave should act as a master. Is this possible in the case
> where the hardware crash of the Master server.
>
> Can We setup the Pgpool for both master and slave Server.

Yes. pgpool-II has a feature called "watchdog", which is a HA for
pgpool-II itself. If master pgpool-II server machine goes down, slave
pgpool-II becomes new master. Of course in this case master (primary)
PostgreSQL is not availble on the machine, and new pgpool-II master
promotes the slave (standby) PostgreSQL to the new primary DB server.