[pgpool-general: 3224] pgpool with Slony replication delay

Cal Heldenbrand cal at fbsdata.com
Thu Oct 16 23:21:26 JST 2014

Hi everyone,

I have encountered a problem with pgpool using Slony for replication to
slaves.  The client to pgpool in my case is an API, so requests come in
concurrently on independent connections.  If we have an insert directly
followed by a select for that record, the select is load balanced between
the master and slave, resulting in a 50% chance of a failure.  Since the
select ends up coming from a separate httpd child process, there is no way
to keep the insert and select in the same transaction.

Am I missing something in the documentation and configs?  Can pgpool
intelligently recognize specific records that have been inserted to a
table, then direct all selects for that record to the master until Slony
has replicated it to the slaves?

Thank you!

--Cal