[pgpool-general: 2815] Re: Authentication documentation question

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Sat May 10 21:20:22 JST 2014

> I'm looking at using pgpool-II in a situation that requires authentication
> and was looking through the online documentation here:
>
> http://www.pgpool.net/docs/latest/pgpool-en.html
>
> And read things like:
>
>> pgpool-II does not support pg_hba.conf-like access controls. If TCP/IP
> connections are enabled, pgpool-II accepts all the connections from any
> host.

Good catch. This is not true. Pgpool-II has pool_hba.conf. Will fix.

>> "hostssl" connection type is not supported

Again good catch. Will fix.

>> pgpool currently does not support IPv6.

This is true. Pgpool currently does not bind to IPv6 addresses and
cannot listen to IPv6 connections.

> As far as I can tell from the source and the rest of the documentation
> these are all not true and pool_hba.conf is actually fully functional. Am I
> reading this correctly?
>
> As an aside, I note the pgpool throws away all connection errors from the
> server, not even logging them.

Yeah, pgpool does not log authentication even when log_connections is on like PostgreSQL:

15284 2014-05-10 21:10:09 JST LOG:  connection authorized: user=t-ishii database=template1

This should be fixed in the future.

> Is there a better way to debug connection
> problems than strace?

Please try -d option of pgpool.