[pgpool-general: 2635] Re: redhat pgpool.init script

Alexandru Cardaniuc cardaniuc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 07:37:09 JST 2014

Hi Devrim,

I just checked the sources from the link you provided for the pgpool.init:
http://svn.pgrpms.org/repo/rpm/redhat/9.3/pgpool-II/EL-6/pgpool.init

And it's still version 2.3 over there. That doesn't account for the
problems described here:
http://www.sraoss.jp/pipermail/pgpool-hackers/2012-May/000068.html
and here:
http://lists.pgfoundry.org/pipermail/pgpool-hackers/2010-November/000407.html

The problem seems to be also described in this bug ticket:
http://www.pgpool.net/mantisbt/view.php?id=12

I can consistently reproduce it. How to reproduce it:
* configure pgpool-II to use watchdog with two nodes
say delegate_IP is on the primary node
* then service pgpool stop on the primary node will bring down the
delegate_IP interface and that would go to the secondary node, but it would
not remove the /var/run/pgpool_status and both socket files (for pcp 9898
and pgpool 9999). Hence when you try to start it later it will fail with
cannot bind to socket error.
That also makes 'service pgpool restart' fail on the node that has the
delegate_IP assigned at the moment.

It works fine on the node that doesn't have delegate_IP assigned and also
works fine on the primary node with delegate_IP BUT only when the secondary
node is already down.

Looks like it can be traced to how the 'pgpool stop' calls killproc and
only when watchdog with delegate_IP is configured (with ifconfig to bring
the interface up/down).

--
Sincerely yours,
Alexandru Cardaniuc