[pgpool-general: 2605] Re: PGPool watchdog not releasing shared IP

Yugo Nagata nagata at sraoss.co.jp
Mon Mar 10 11:10:47 JST 2014

Hi,

On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 11:18:27 -0500
Chris Mann <chris at walkingthumbs.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I’ve two pgpools, one on it’s own server and one on a database server. When pgpool gets shutdown with a smart shutdown, it seems that pgpool can’t release the shared IP, and this results in hung state between the two, since the app servers are looking to that IP address. What I see in the logs is this:
>
> 2014-03-06 20:04:31 DEBUG: pid 10686: wd_IP_down: not delegate IP holder
>
> It’s almost as if both PGPools are trying to grab that delegate IP address.

Is there any kind of error message when pgpool starts up? Failure of
`ifconfig' or `arping' command might cause the wd_IP_down failure.

Could you please send pgpool's version, pgpool.conf and log messages?
These would helpful to analyze this.

> I’ve worked with my VSP, and according to them, what I need to do is basically run a cron script to ping that IP address before the delegate IP address will float over to the other pgpool server. This is kind if clunky, is there some way to have pgpool perform this as part of it’s watchdogging?

I'm not sure what your script does exactly. However, if you want to execute some commands
before ifconfig down VIP, you can specify your custom script to wp_down_cmd and ifconfig_path
option, though I don't recommend this. I think proper configuration would resolve the problem.

Yugo Nagata <nagata at sraoss.co.jp>