[pgpool-general: 2563] pool_do_auth: failed to read kind before BackendKeyData

Wilkerson, Daniel dwilkerson at fullsail.com
Wed Feb 12 00:37:06 JST 2014

Hello All. I am new to both Pg Pool and this list. I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

I have a clustered Postgres configuration (master/slave) using Pg Pool II on Ubuntu. I'm noticing after starting pgpool with /etc/init.d/pgpool2 start that the following messages show up in the logs when attempting to get a psql session on the Pg Pool server:

pool_do_auth: auth kind:0
Feb 11 10:03:38 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx pgpool[26132]: pool_read_kind: kind does not match between master(4e) slot[1] (53)
Feb 11 10:03:38 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx pgpool[26132]: pool_do_auth: failed to read kind before BackendKeyData

I am able to successfully get psql sessions on both the master and slave nodes directly, and pcp_node_info run on the Pg Pool server reports both nodes as up (status = 2).

I found a post after searching the web where someone had a similar problem. Someone had replied that is was possibly passwords not matching. Is that what is happening in my case? If so, which passwords would I synch-up? Is this something else?

Thanks again for any help.

Kind Regards,
dw