[pgpool-general: 1833] Re: pgpool vs. pgbouncer

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Fri Jun 7 10:05:30 JST 2013

>> So pgbouncer is running in transaction mode? If so, how many
>> connections from clients to pgbouncer?
>
> PgBouncer is running in session mode:
>
> max_client_conn = 2000
> default_pool_size = 150
> reserve_pool_size = 50
>
> PgPool:
>
> num_init_children = 100
> max_pool = 1
>
> I wrote a munin plugin in order to be able to answer you for the real
> amount of connections. At peak time there are about 42 connections to
> pgpool and 22 to pgbouncer. Still, it is not accurate, because munin is
> running once every 5 minutes, so in between there could be higher values
> (and probably there really are a lot more).

Hum. Pgbouncer is running in session mode? I wonder what if pgbouncer
accepts 2000 connections. In that case pgbouncer tries to create 2000
connections to pgpool? Then 1900 connections will be in the kernel
accpet queue, no? If so, I don't understand the difference from
clients connect to pgpool directory. Because that will create 1900
accept queue in the kernel as well.