[pgpool-general: 1832] Re: pgpool vs. pgbouncer

Kouber Saparev kouber at saparev.com
Thu Jun 6 19:36:23 JST 2013

On 05/30/2013 06:35 PM, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>> We are using both.
>>
>> PgBouncer is in front used as a connection pooler, then it connects to
>> PgPool, which we use for load balancing only. We are using the built-in
>> streaming replication.
>>
>> We didn't benchmark, but noticed that PgBouncer is behaving a bit better
>> as connection pooler, yet it lacks the load balancing functionality of
>> PgPool.
> So pgbouncer is running in transaction mode? If so, how many
> connections from clients to pgbouncer?

PgBouncer is running in session mode:

max_client_conn = 2000
default_pool_size = 150
reserve_pool_size = 50

PgPool:

num_init_children = 100
max_pool = 1

I wrote a munin plugin in order to be able to answer you for the real
amount of connections. At peak time there are about 42 connections to
pgpool and 22 to pgbouncer. Still, it is not accurate, because munin is
running once every 5 minutes, so in between there could be higher values
(and probably there really are a lot more).

Regards,
--
Kouber Saparev