[pgpool-general: 272] Authentication help?

Matt Wise matt at nextdoor.com
Fri Mar 9 00:44:43 JST 2012

Hey I'm working on a new PGPool setup for our PG 9.1 environment. Right now we have 1 master server and 3 slaves. I've got PGPool only setup in Load Balancing mode, and only listing the slaves at the moment — I'll be adding the master in later today.

I'm not sure how PGPool is handling auth... If I connect to pgpool's port with the 'postgres' user it works just fine. However, if I connect with any other user I immediately get kicked out (I see a 'psql: ' line, then get kicked out). I've tried with and without enable_pool_hba.

Our backends all have a line like this in pg_hba.conf:

> hostssl all all 10.0.0.0/8 password
> hostssl replication all 10.0.0.0/8 password

and our pgpool is configured to connect as 'postgres' for healthchecks and replication checks. Can someone explain how I need to configure pgpool so that I can auth with our role accounts?

—Matt