[pgpool-general: 1237] Java usage of pgpool 2

Nick Hristov nhristov at proferi.com
Thu Dec 6 03:30:50 JST 2012

Hello all.

My company is currently thinking about deploying pgpool as a high
availability solution of our current postgresql installation (we want to be
able to have an automated method of switching to a hot-standby pg instance
at any point).

We are a java shop, and will be connecting to pg pool via the JDBC4 driver
(its really jdbc3 under the covers).

The problem is that we discovered a complete show stopper bug, where pg
pool crashes immediately upon connection with the JDBC driver.
Connections/queries via psql work quite fine.

Upon further investigation by one of my colleagues we discovered the issue
was this: http://www.pgpool.net/mantisbt/view.php?id=21 .

Even though we applied the patch, I am quite uneasy, because this is a show
stopper bug, imho. I am worried that this could prove to be just the
beginning of a series of issues.

My question is, does anybody have a sense how many companies/organizations
have chosen to deploy a pgpool/java in their production environment? What
is the overall impression of the stability of the product? Any gotchas, or
clear do-not-do-this items that you can point out?

Thank you very much,

Nick