[pgpool-general: 849] Re: pgpool just hangs up after reaching "num_init_children" connections

Gnanakumar gnanam at zoniac.com
Fri Aug 3 14:26:06 JST 2012

> Pgpool is waiting for some of users disconnects to pgpool. Until
> someone disconnects to pgpool, new user cannot connect to pgpool.

> See FAQ(http://www.pgpool.net/mediawiki/index.php/FAQ), especially this
entry:

Yes, I read that FAQ. But I could also clearly observe that if it reaches
"num_init_children" concurrent sessions, then it is not even allowing
existing/already connected users a chance to disconnect, though. So, it
becomes like a deadlock situation.

In order to set the right value for "num_init_children", we want to find out
the *maximum connection* reached at any given timeframe from pgpool log, in
case if we decide to increase "num_init_children" value.  Is it possible to
determine this information from pgpool?