[pgpool-general: 848] pgpool-II 3.2.0 and pgpoolAdmin 3.2.0 officially released

Nozomi Anzai anzai at sraoss.co.jp
Fri Aug 3 11:49:13 JST 2012

Pgpool Global Development Group is pleased to announce the availability of
pgpool 3.2.0 and pgpoolAdmin 3.2.0.

You can download them from here:
(pgpool-II)    http://www.pgpool.net/download.php?f=pgpool-II-3.2.0.tar.gz
(pgpoolAdmin)  http://www.pgpool.net/download.php?f=pgpoolAdmin-3.2.0.tar.gz

Attached are release notes.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
pgpool-II 3.2.0
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Release note:
http://www.pgpool.net/pgpool-web/NEWS.txt

Manual:
http://www.pgpool.net/docs/latest/doc/pgpool-en.html

Tutrials:
(Memory cache) http://www.pgpool.net/pgpool-web/contrib_docs/memqcache/en.html
(Watchdog)     http://www.pgpool.net/pgpool-web/contrib_docs/watchdog/en.html

Incompatible changes

  - The new query cache "On memory query cache" took the place of the old
    one.
    - Now the parameter "enable_query_cache" is deleted.

New features

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
| Memory based query cache                                                     |
*------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

Original author is Masanori Yamazaki, improved by Development Group.
(Tatsuo Ishii, Nozomi Anzai, Yugo Nagata)

* Overview:

    On memory query cache is faster because cache storage is on memory.
    Moreover you don't need to restart pgpool-II when the cache is outdated
    because the underlying table gets updated.

    On memory cache saves pair of SELECT statements (with its Bind
    parameters if the SELECT is an extended query). If the same SELECTs
    comes in, it returns the value from cache. Since no SQL parsing nor
    access to PostgreSQL are involed, it's extremely fast.

    On the other hand, it might be slower than the normal path because it
    adds some overhead to store cache. Moreover when a table is updated,
    pgpool automatically deletes all the caches related to the table. So
    the prformace will be degraded by a system with a lot of updates. If
    the cache_hit_ratio is lower than 70%, you might want to disable onl
    memory cache.

* Choosing cache storage:

    You can choose a cache strage: shared memory or memcached (you can't
    use the both).
    Query cache with shared memory is fast and easy because you don't have
    to install and config memcached, but restricted the max size of cache
    by the one of shared memory. Query cache with memcached needs a
    overhead to access network, but you can set the size as you like.

* Restrictions:

  - On memory query cache deletes the all cache of an updated table
    automatically with monitoring if the executed query is UPDATE, INSERT,
    ALTER TABLE and so on.
    But pgpool-II isn't able to recognize implicit updates due to trigers,
    foreign keys and DROP TABLE CASCADE.
    You can avoid this problem with memqcache_expire by which pgpool
    deletes old cache in a fixed time automatically, or with
    black_memqcache_table_list by which pgpool's memory cache flow ignores
    the tables.

  - If you want to use multiple instances of pgpool-II with online memory
    cache which uses shared memory, it could happen that one pgpool deletes
    cache, and the other one doesn't do it thus finds old cached result
    when a table gets updated. Memcached is the better cache strage in this
    case.

* New parameters:

  - Add parameters for on memoey query cache as follows:
    memory_cache_enabled, memqcache_method, memqcache_expire,
    memqcache_maxcache, memqcache_oiddir. (Tatsuo Ishii)

  - Add parameters about shared memory for on memory query cache as
    follows:
    memqcache_total_size, memqcache_max_num_cache,
    memqcache_cache_block_size. (Tatsuo Ishii)

  - Add parameters about memcached for on memory query cache as follows:
    memqcache_memcached_host, memqcache_memcached_port. (Tatsuo Ishii)

  - Add parameters about relation cache for on memory query cache as
    follows:
    relcache_expire, relcache_size. (Tatsuo Ishii)

  - Add a parameter "check_temp_table" to check if the SELECTed table is
    temp table. (Tatsuo Ishii)

  - Add the parameters of white_memqcache_table_list,
    black_memqcache_table_list that check if the SELECTed tables, temp
    tables and views are to be cached or not. (Nozomi Anzai)

  - Add a parameter "memqcache_auto_cache_invalidation" of the flag if
    query cache is triggered by corresponding DDL/DML/DCL (and
    memqcache_expire). (Yugo Nagata)

* New commands:

  - Add "SHOW pool cache" which shows hit ratio of query cache and the
    status of cache strage.

  - Add "--with-memcached" option to configure. (Nozomi Anzai)

  - Add "-C, --clear-oidmaps" option to "pgpool" command. (Nozomi Anzai)
    If pgpool with memcached starts / restarts with -C option, discard oid
    maps, if not, it can reuse old oid maps and query caches.

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
| Watchdog                                                                     |
*------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

The author is Atsushi Mitani, tested by Yugo Nagata.

* Overview:

  "Watchdog" is a sub process of pgpool-II aiming for adding high
  availability feature to it. Features added by watchdog include:

  - Life checking of pgpool service

    Watchdog monitors responses of pgpool service rather than process. It
    sends queries to PostgreSQL via pgpool which is being monitored by
    watchdog and watchdog checks the response. Also watchdog monitors
    connections to up stream servers (application servers etc.) from the
    pgpool. The connection between the up stream servers and the pgpool is
    monitored as service of pgpool.

  - Mutual monitoring of watchdog processes

    Watchdog processes exchange information on the monitored servers to
    keep the information up to date, and to allow watchdog processes to
    mutually monitor each other.

  - Changing active/standby state in case of certain faults detected

    When a fault is detected in the pgpool service, watchdog notifies the
    other watchdogs of it. Watchdogs decide the new active pgpool if
    previous active pgpool is broken by voting and change active/standby
    state.

  - Automatic virtual IP address assigning synchronous to server switching

    When a standby pgpool server promotes to active, the new active server
    brings up virtual IP interface. Meanwhile, the previous active server
    brings down the virtual IP interface. This enables the active pgpool to
    work using the same IP address even when servers is switched over.

  - Automatic registration of a server as standby in recovery

    When broken server recovers or new server is attached, the watchdog
    process notifies the other watchdog process along with information of
    the new server, and the watchdog process receives information on the
    active server and other servers. Then, the attached server is
    registered as standby.

* New parameters:

  - Add a parameter to enable watchdog: use_watchdog. (Atsushi Mitani)

  - Add the parameters about life checking of pgpool service as follows:
    wd_interval,other_pgpool_port wd_life_point, wd_lifecheck_query,
    other_pgpool_hostname, other_pgpool_port. (Atsushi Mitani)

  - Add the parameters about up to stream connection (e.g. to application
    servers) as follows:
    trusted_servers, ping_path. (Atsushi Mitani)

  - Add the parameters about mutual monitoring of watchdog processes
    as follows:
    wd_hostname, wd_port, other_wd_port. (Atsushi Mitani)

  - Add the parameters about virtual IP as follows:
    ifconfig_path, if_up_cmd, if_down_cmd, arping_path, arping_cmd.
    (Atsushi Mitani)

Enhancements

  - Retry if health check faied rather than immediately do failover. For
    this purpose new directives "health_check_max_retries" and
    "health_check_retry_delay" were added. (Tatsuo Ishii)
    Patch contributed by Matt Solnit.