[Pgpool-hackers] application_name

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Mon Feb 21 08:43:15 UTC 2011

Hi pgpool hackers,

We have discussed about a problem with "application_name" in
Paris. Pgpool keeps connection to PostgreSQL. From PostgreSQL 9.0,
there is a new SET variable called "application_name" which is left
after clients disconnects to pgpool. So if you take a look at the
output of pg_stat_activity, there are some entries which keep
application_name as "psql" if you use psql via pgpool.

I think we could just get ride of the problem by just adding 'SET
application_name TO "pgpool"' to the reset_query_list in
pgpool.conf(note that you should remove single quote).

The reason why we use double quote surrounding pgpool is,
reset_query_list does not allow to use single quote.
(maybe we should introduce some escape syntax).

Unfortunately pgpoolAdmin dislikes this when using pgpool.conf
management page but it's different story.

What do you think?