[Pgpool-hackers] Found bug with debug_level

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Thu Dec 30 14:19:07 UTC 2010

>>> Fortunately we have syslog support now :-) but if we want to fix the
>>> stderr logging problem we have to allow pgpool to save it into a given
>>> file like with a -l logfile command line option or/and in the
>>> configuration file with a 'log_to_file' option instead of letting the
>>> user creating a shell redirection that is only useful at main process
>>> startup.
>>
>> Problem with this aproach is we need a rog rotation functionality at
>> the same time. Otherwise the logfile will become infinitely large
>> until pgpool process restarts. IMO if we implement "log_to_file", we
>> need our own log rotator as well. Probably these functions will be
>> pretty much similar to PostgreSQL's one(aka. logging collector
>> process) if we want to implement.
>
> IMHO, we shouldn't focus on rotation yet but just fix this issue. If
> pgPool
> need to rotate is own log file, it would be better to make it a seperate
> patch.

I'm not against the log rotation patch be separate one. But I think
log to file patch should include the ability to close and re-open the
log file when certain signal is received.

> Mind you, I even think rotation shouldn't be in the scope or PostgreSQL at
>
> all. We have some better ways to deal with rotation, logrotate itself is
> much
> better and functionnal than PostgreSQL.

Can you elaborate why PostgreSQL's logger process is not good? I think
your point was already examined when the discussions on logger process
were going on the PostgreSQL hacker's list.