[Pgpool-hackers] Found bug with debug_level

jgdr at dalibo.com jgdr at dalibo.com
Thu Dec 30 13:10:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 22:03:28 +0900 (JST), Tatsuo Ishii
<ishii at sraoss.co.jp>
wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> [...]
>> Fortunately we have syslog support now :-) but if we want to fix the
>> stderr logging problem we have to allow pgpool to save it into a given
>> file like with a -l logfile command line option or/and in the
>> configuration file with a 'log_to_file' option instead of letting the
>> user creating a shell redirection that is only useful at main process
>> startup.
>
> Problem with this aproach is we need a rog rotation functionality at
> the same time. Otherwise the logfile will become infinitely large
> until pgpool process restarts. IMO if we implement "log_to_file", we
> need our own log rotator as well. Probably these functions will be
> pretty much similar to PostgreSQL's one(aka. logging collector
> process) if we want to implement.

IMHO, we shouldn't focus on rotation yet but just fix this issue. If
pgPool
need to rotate is own log file, it would be better to make it a seperate
patch.

Mind you, I even think rotation shouldn't be in the scope or PostgreSQL at

all. We have some better ways to deal with rotation, logrotate itself is
much
better and functionnal than PostgreSQL.