[Pgpool-hackers] hardcoded values in configure script

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Fri Oct 6 02:36:45 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 11:05:16AM +0900, Yoshiyuki Asaba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From: Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim at commandprompt.com>
> Subject: Re: [Pgpool-hackers] hardcoded values in configure script
> Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 15:17:01 +0300
>
> > On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 17:07 +0900, Yoshiyuki Asaba wrote:
> > > OK. If pg_config exists, default values are determined by
> > > pg_config. If not, these are fixed path. Does anyone have any
> > > comment to the attached patch?
> >
> > I'm against this. If pg_config does not exist in $PATH, then
> > configure should stop and ask for a valid path for pg_config. I
> > think this will be better.
>
> Do you think a situation that libpq is installed only?
>
>   % cd postgresql-x.x.x/
>   % ./configure
>   % cd src/interfaces/libpq
>   % make install
>
> So I think I need "--with-pgsql" option if pg_config does not
> installed.

I think we should require pg_config to be installed and in $PATH, and
should stop if either of those things do not hold.

> Then configure checks libpq. If it does not exist, configure stops.

Anything not using pg_config has too many moving parts, and will be
fragile.

Regards,
David.
--
David Fetter <david at fetter.org> http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666

Remember to vote!