[Pgpool-hackers] cache for pgpool

Jim C. Nasby jnasby at pervasive.com
Tue May 16 17:13:24 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 08:47:23AM -0600, David Boreham wrote:

> >no need to change your application.
> >just run pgpool and the requests are cached. If an update occurs, all
> >the data caches for this table are cleared.
> >just ? la mysql. For my web application, mysql cache 67% of the
> >requests and it is mandatory to have a cache if I want to switch to
> >Postgres :-)
> >

> You are aware that postgresql already has a cache, I presume ?
> Typically the reason to reach for a second external cache is where the
> primary
> database can't serve the total load : external caching is a form of
> replication
> in that case. I'd recommend that you evaluate the performance of PG
> for your application before concluding that it isn't going to provide
> sufficient performance (it might, it might not, but you should really
> find out before fixing on one plan).

There's a ton of poorly written applications that would fall flat on
their face if not for caching the results of queries. There's even some
well written ones that need to rely on this, especially since PostgreSQL
doesn't really support materialized views.

Plus I figure anything that helps migration from MySQL to PostgreSQL is
a Good Thing(tm). :)
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby at pervasive.com