[Pgpool-general] what does "ProcessFrontendResponse: failed to read kind from frontend. frontend abnormally exited" mean?

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Wed May 11 00:41:25 UTC 2011

Well, your clients might be ill-behaved:-)

PostgreSQL's protocol requires clients to send particular packet
before they disconnect the connection. pgpool-II complains that clients
disconnect without sending the packet.

You could reprodcude the problem by using psql. Connect to pgpool
using psql. Kill -9 psql. You will silimar message in the log. The
message will not appear if you quit psql normaly.

Another possibility is unstable network connection between your client
machine and pgpool-II. Check the cable and network interface card.