[Pgpool-general] Trouble with pgpool installation

Paul Giblock pgiblox at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 13:52:37 UTC 2011

Tatsuo,

Thanks for the response.

> pg_last_xlog_receive_location only returns meaningfull result on
> standby. You should connect directly to standby and issue the
> query. Even if you do that, I suspect you will get NULL since pgpool
> log says however.
>
>> ERROR: pid 8733: check_replication_time_lag: SELECT
>> pg_last_xlog_receive_location() returns no data
>
> This indicates that your standby server does not act as standby. You
> should check your standby postgres log.

I just tried pg_last_xlog_receive_location against both databases and
both of them returned null.

I'm not sure which database is "standby" as I never got to designate a
"primary".  I also have no node status in pgpoolAdmin.  I issued a
statement against pgpool. The statement was handled by server srvh035.
 Even with multiple sessions it seems all statements are sent to
srvh035.  Therefore, I assume srvh016 is currently in "standby".  What
am I looking for in its log?  The only thing I see are many calls to:

SELECT pg_last_xlog_receive_location()

> I'm confused. streaming replication mode does not require system
> db. Why did you do so?

I did that because I was getting those errors regarding "no data", and
it was a last-ditch effort to get things to work.

Thank you,
Paul