[Pgpool-general] JDBC Query Not Working in Parallel Mode

Toshihiro Kitagawa kitagawa at sraoss.co.jp
Fri Jun 3 02:18:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 11:27:18 -0700
Vincent Sheffer <vincent.sheffer at mac.com> wrote:

> Here are my particulars:
>
> pgpool-II 3.0.3
> postgresql 9.0.4
> JDBC4 driver v9.0-801
> JDK 1.6 running on Ubuntu Linux
>
> I've got pgpool-II configured in parallel mode and have partitioning rules set up via dist_def and systemdb.  I do a simple, non prepared statement, query in JDBC and get no results back.  The exact same query (that I copied and pasted from the pgpool-II debug log) run through psql returns the correct result set.

It's a restriction in parallel mode.

Excerpts from pgpool-II manual:
* Extended Query Protocol (for parallel mode)
  The extended query protocol used by JDBC drivers, etc. is not supported.

JDBC drivers(except earlier ones) use the extended query protocol
regardless of prepared statement. On the one hand, the drivers using
libpq might use the extended query protocol if API for prepared
statement is called.

> I am continuing to investigate on my end, but any help here would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Vince

Toshihiro Kitagawa