[Pgpool-general] pgpool II : Streaming replication and recovering previous primary node

Wouter D'Haeseleer wdh at vasco.com
Mon Jan 31 08:32:51 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I have 2 nodes running streaming replication managed by pgpool.
let's assume that the current primary is backend0 and the standby is
backend1.

When backend0 fails pgpool promotes backend1 to primary and all query's
are directed to the new master running at backend1.
When I try to recover backend0 it works and backend0 is running now as a
standby node.

However I see that pgpool thinks backend0 is back up as master and will
do update queries on backend0 which is in fact a standby...
Therefore all updates are failing and we have to do manual actions.

Shoudn't pgpool-II keep the new master as the master from that point on?

ps: I'm running pgpool-II version 3.0.1 (umiyameboshi)

Thanks

Wouter D'Haeseleer